Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Wilson River with some new friends!


First OFF I'd like to welcome anyone reading this as it's my first attempt at a blog! I finally got to get out on the water Sunday Dec 13, 2009 with some guys from www.oregonfishingforum.com which is a wonderful fishing forum for those of us in Oregon. It was right after our first little cold spell of the winter and many rivers were frozen over. The one we went to of course was not. We went to the Wilson River located near Tillamook Oregon. Our targets were Chinook, Coho, Steelhead. We started off pretty low on the river, just a mile or two above tidewater. Of course we were fishing from the bank. The water was low and clear as we haven't had much rain recently. (of course now it's pouring) We didn't see any activity from the fish that low and we only saw one other bank fisherman just upriver from us. I tried various spinners with no luck, one guy I was with, Ninja2010 was using some flies and Cohosanders I believe was drifting a corkie and yarn. After an hour or so we decide to move way up river to my favorite hole, the Blackjack Hole. I have had a lot of luck there. If anyone is interested it is located across from mile marker 21 on Hwy. 6. We get there and immediately see fish stacked up waiting for rain to go further up the river. We start fishing, no action for the first 30-45 min then I hooked into a nice Coho that spit the hook after about 10 seconds. I walk over to where my buddies were at and no sooner do I get over there than my buddy Cohosanders hooks into a nice Chinook that also came unbottoned but after a nice little fight. Unfortunately Ninja wasn't able to hook into anything that day. But Cohosanders got 3 or 4 real nice fish and I landed 1 and lost 3 or so. It was a great day on the water with some new friends. I can't wait to get back out there once the rain lets up a little bit. See ya on the river!

No comments:

Post a Comment